Scilly by Gemma Atkinson was my favourite pattern from Rowan 58. I loved the mixture of colour and texture. I waited for a while, because I knew it would be an expensive undertaking, I continued to love it, and so I began to accumulate the yarn I would need.
The Magazine Picture
The pattern is simple but effective.
Thank you to those who suggested that the first stitch of every row should be slipped. With half the stitched slipped on each row of course the edge would frill if I followed the pattern and worked that stitch on every row.
I’ve changed the order of the stripes, because there was too little contrast between the first two colours used in the pattern – Bilberry and Tawny.
There was much I loved about this when I saw it in the magazine, but I don’t like the way two colours stand out and others blur.
And I prefer a five-colour repeat to the-in-to-a point-then out-to-a-point look. There is probably a better way of expressing that but I can’t think of it right now.
The last jumper I knitted with mohair has survived for three decades with a few wears a year, so my thinking for this one is that I don’t want this one to speak too loudly of a particular time or trend.
Felted Tweed was essential but I substituted Drops Kid Silk for Kidsilk Haze, because my budget is not unlimited and what I read about it was quite positive.
So far so good ….
Added Fuzziness Throughout
It was all going swimmingly until I reached the Jaffa colourway. Much too yellow! I ditched that and tried a dark brown shade that was left over from my House Martin Hap. It was better but too dark, and so I thought again. Gilt felt right – not too many miles from the Jaffa but that bit darker and that bit less yellow. Currently waiting for the yarn to arrive and knitting a hat for my Woolly Dozen.
Other Colours Considered
Well, the designer was right and I was wrong. Gilt is much lighter than I remembered, it didn’t look right and so I gave Jaffa a second chance. When I had knitted a whole stripe it looked much better, and so I’m going with it.
The colours make much more sense now that I’ve knitted my 15th stripe, and my perception of their effect has changed.
The pattern is lovely and logical, but it’s taken me more time to learn to read it than many other patterns.
The back is done and the front is underway. I love the effect, but the fuzziness means I had to peer a lot at my knitting to see where to slip and where to work the stitch every time I picked my knitting up.
Curses! I’d nearly finished the front when I realised I’d picked up the wrong needle and my gauge had changed from a few rows after the armhole shaping began. I will unrip but I can’t face all of the clinging fuzziness and colour changes right now. I’m going to knit something else for a while.
Time to start again. I’ll put the front to one side and knit the sleeves, then I’ll have the momentum to get this thing done.
I have sleeves! And I’ve taken the front back to the point where it went wrong.
I’ve redone the front and it looks so much better now. This weekend I sew it up and knit the neckband; and then it’s done.
Done! I am so, so glad that I wove in all the ends as I was going.
My Finished Object!
I love the look of it and the fit is perfect. Well, the arms are a little tight, but not to the point that it’s a problem.
It’s incredibly warm.
One day I will master the art of finishing projects in the right season!
It shouldn’t have taken so long from start to finish, but there were times when I needed a break from the endless rows of the slip-stitch pattern, and my mistake with the front set me back for a while.
I made the second size and I found that I needed a little bit of an extra ball of Bilberry and that I used less than half of the last ball of the other four colours. I suspect that I needed the extra because I rearranged the stripes, but I would say that if you plan to knit this you should also plan for leftovers.
(The picture of the five colours further up the page is what I had left over.)
I stuck with the original colourway because I particularly liked it. I wouldn’t have been confident changing the whole colour scheme, but I’ve seen a couple of projects that have used shades of blue and grey and they look lovely.
The knitting wasn’t difficult, but have to say that you do need to be careful to keep gauge while you are slipping pairs of stitches, and you need to look quite carefully when you need to read your knitting.
I’m glad I knitted this sweater – and now I’m glad that it’s done and I can knit something completely different.